Emergency Plan for Intercollegiate Varsity Athletics
The following procedures should be utilized as a guide when an emergency medical situation has occurred. These are only guidelines, as each case is unique and different requirements may be deemed necessary.
Competitions: A certified athletic trainer will be on-site or available on-campus. Student athletic trainers may also be present in addition to the certified athletic trainer.
Practice/other activities: A certified athletic trainer may be on-site or available on-campus. Student athletic trainers may also be present in addition to the certified athletic trainer. If no athletic trainer is present during these activities, Campus Police should be contacted (781-891-3131).
ON-CAMPUS ACTIVATION OF EMS
If it is determined that an ambulance is required, one will be dispatched through Campus Police (781-891-3131). An exception would be in the case of stand-by ambulance coverage for home football games, so it will be contacted directly. Transports are taken to either Newton Wellesely Hospital (617-243-6000) or Mount Auburn Hospital (617-499-5025) unless requested by the injured party or determined by the ambulance company.
ON-CAMPUS EMERGENCY COMMUNICATIONS
Emergency phone/intercom locations
- Red phones/intercoms: provides direct access to Campus Police and are located in the main hallways on the first and second floors of the Dana Center and in the pool.
- Yellow box: on the path side gate of the softball field.
- Campus phones: located in the athletic training room, athletic training office, pool office, weight rooms, main office and coaches offices. Outdoor campus phone located on the side of the Dana Center next to the back parking lot.
DIAL 3131 on all campus phones for EMERGENCIES
Dial 2201 on campus phones for non-emergencies
- Blue-light emergency phone: located in parking lot between the baseball field and soccer stadium. Direct access to Campus Police.
- Two-way radios: 4, two-way radios are located and available in the Dana Center Athletic Training Room. ATC’s, SAT’s and coaches may utilize these for: coach-to-AT contact, coach-to-Campus Police contact, AT-to-AT contact, AT-to-Campus Police contact.
ATHLETIC TRAINING ROOM LOCATION
The athletic training facility is located in the Dana Athletic Center on Lower Campus. It is on the first floor of the building. There are two entrances to the athletic training room: from the field house and from the main hallway. There is a separate entrance to the athletic training room office from the main hallway. The office is directly connected to the athletic training room.
ON-CAMPUS EMERGENCY EQUIPMENT LOCATIONS
Athletic Training/First Aid Kits: on-site or in the athletic training room, as well as in the pool office.
Backboards: in the athletic training storage room, on the pool deck and present on the sidelines of home football games via the ambulance.
Vacuum splints: in athletic training room and on-site if deemed necessary.
Other splints: in most athletic training medical kits, athletic training room and athletic training storage room.
CPR masks: in athletic training medical kits and in the athletic training room.
AED: on-site for all games and practices, in the athletic training room, in the pool office, in the gymnasium, in the lobby of the Dana Center
Athletes in need of emergency medical care may be transported by ambulance via dispatch through Campus Police. Campus Police may also transport athletes in need of less urgent medical care at their discretion.
- Activation of EMS: upon arrival at an off-campus site, the athletic trainer, if present, or coach, should ascertain the location of the closest emergency or pay phone. 911 should be utilized for EMS activation unless a predetermined emergency phone number is available at that location.
- Communication: depending on location, may be in the form of a pay phone, cellular phone or two-way radios.
- Emergency equipment: depending on activity, the athletic trainer will determine the emergency equipment available at that site.
- Transportation: via ambulance for emergency situations to the closest appropriate medical facility.