WALTHAM, Mass. – Sophomore Andrew Waddington (Granby, Conn./Granby Memorial) won the deciding sixth-flight singles match to give second-seeded Bentley a 5-4 victory over third-seeded So. New Hampshire in the semifinals of the Northeast-10 Men's Tennis Championships Thursday afternoon.
With the win, Bentley advances to the finals and will go for its third straight NE-10 championship on Saturday against top-seed Merrimack, which beat Stonehill 5-0.
Waddington dropped the first set to Brad Malenich 2-6, won the second 6-1, and finished off the match for the Falcons with a 6-3 win in the third set.
Bentley led 2-1 after doubles, and was up 4-2 after Alec Spycher (Sarasota, Fla./Saint Stephens Episcopal) won in the fifth-flight and Rodrigo Ribeiro (Sao Paulo, Brazil/Chapel School) took his third-flight match.
The Penmen tied it up with victories in the first and fourth-flights, leaving Waddington and Malenich as the last two on the courts.
Bentley, whose only NE-10 loss of the season came to Merrimack on April 12, beat the Warriors to win the 2010 NE-10 title.
At Waltham, Mass.
Bentley 5, So. New Hampshire 4
1. Mike Wallace/Mitch Dobek (SNH) def. Zach Tuckman/Rodrigo Ribeiro (BEN) 8-4
2. Alec Spycher/Raghav Tanna (BEN) def. Juan Arango-Campo/Alex Mukdaprakorn (SNH) 8-4
1. Mitch Dobek (SNH) def. Lucas Wever (BEN) 6-4, retired
2. Juan Arango-Campo (SNH) def. Zach Tuckman (BEN) 6-2, 6-0
3. Rodrigo Ribeiro (BEN) def. Alex Mukdaprakorn (SNH) 6-2, 6-1
4. Mike Wallace (SNH) def. Jimmy Rindo (BEN) 6-4, 6-1
5. Alec Spycher (BEN) def. Jared Wright (SNH) 6-2, 6-1
6. Andrew Waddington (BEN) def. Brad Malenich (SNH) 2-6, 6-1, 6-3