Woburn, Mass. – Saint Michael's won two of three doubles matches and split the singles, and it was enough to slip past Bentley 5-4 in a Northeast-10 women's tennis matchup Saturday afternoon.
The Purple Knights (9-5, 8-1 NE-10) won the first and third flight doubles matches, but the duo of senior Kara Murphy (Worcester, Pa./Methacton) and freshman Melanie Scott (Southbury, Conn./Pomperaug) beat Caroline Martin and Jean-Marie McGrath 8-3 in the second-flight.
Down 2-1 entering the singles portion of the match, Bentley (4-9, 4-2 NE-10) needed to win four of five to win the match, but only came away with three. The winners were Murphy in the second-flight, junior Rachael Litton (Burlington, Ontario/Nelson) in the third-flight and senior Brittany Harbert (Boxford, Mass./Masconomet) in the fourth-flight.
Bentley will look to get back in the win column on Wednesday at Assumption.
At Woburn, Mass.
Saint Michael's 5, Bentley 4
1. Emily Magee/Alex Dalton (STM) def. Paulina Sotomayor/Rachael Litton (BEN) 8-4
2. Kara Murphy/Melanie Scott (BEN) def. Caroline Martin/Jean-Marie McGrath (STM) 8-3
3. Emily Ogilvy/Caroline Toutoungi (STM) def. Alyssa Hayes/Brittany Harbert (BEN) 8-6
1. Emily Magee (STM) def. Paulina Sotomayor (BEN) 7-5, 6-3
2. Kara Murphy (BEN) def. Alex Dalton (STM) 1-6, 6-3, 10-6
3. Rachael Litton (BEN) def. Caroline Martin (STM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Brittany Harbert (BEN) def. Jean-Marie McGrath (STM) 6-2, 6-2
5. Hannah Benoit (STM) def. Melanie Scott (BEN) 6-1, 6-1
6. Emily Ogilvy (STM) def. Katie Van Gilst (BEN) 6-4, 6-3