Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Bentley University Falcons
146 Northeast-10 Championships
80 CoSIDA Academic All-Americas
2014 NCAA Div. II Women's Basketball National Champs
2001 NCAA Div. II Field Hockey National Champs
Women's Basketball: NCAA Record 35 NCAA tournaments

Desbiens’ Late Goal Helps Bentley Earn 3-3 Tie With Dartmouth

Jonathan Desbiens
Jonathan Desbiens
Play Video

Waltham, Mass. – Junior Jonathan Desbiens (Montreal, Quebec) scored the tying goal with just 19 seconds left in regulation to help the Bentley hockey team earn a 3-3 tie with Dartmouth in a non-conference game at Bentley Arena on Saturday night.

Desbiens' goal, his second of the night, came with the extra attacker on the ice and sent the game to overtime. He jumped on the rebound off a shot off the boards by senior Drew Callin (Middleton, Wisc.), and slammed the puck into the back of the net on the far side to tie the game 3-3.

Neither team was able to score in the extra five minutes, and the game ended at three apiece.

In the first period, Dartmouth scored the opening goal at the 7:14 mark after right wing Quin Foreman finished a one-timer off a pass from line mate Shane Sellar.

Falcons goalie Aidan Pelino (Oakville, Ontario) then kept it a 1-0 game with a string of saves from close range, as he denied center John Ernsting twice and left wing Cam Strong once.

The Big Green went up 2-0 early in the 2nd period on goal by left wing Drew O'Connor after a turnover in the offensive zone.

But Bentley reeled off two straight goals in the period to tie the game up. At the 4:36 mark, Desbiens netted his first goal of the night. A pass into the offensive zone by Ethan Roswell (Paradise Valley, Ariz.) led to Brendan Hamblet (Hopkinton, Mass.) feeding Desbiens from the right wing into the slot, which he buried past Dartmouth goalie Adrian Clark for the goal.

After Bentley killed off a two-man advantage, they tied the game on Callin's 7th goal of the year at 9:42. Off a face-off win in the offensive zone, Hamblet had a shot from the left wing saved by Clark, but Callin snared the rebound and lifted his shot over Clark's shoulder from a tough angle for the tying goal.

The second period ended 2-2, but Dartmouth went back in front 1:12 into the 3rd period, just as the first penalty on a 5-on-3 power play for the Big Green was about to expire. Center Will Graber had the goal to give them a 3-2 lead.

Bentley had its chances on the power play to find the tying goal during the 3rd period, but came up empty on three extra-man opportunities.

As the clock wound down and they still trailed 3-2, Bentley had trouble getting Pelino to the bench for the extra-attacker. He finally got to the bench with 30 seconds remaining, and with the puck in the offensive zone, Bentley capitalized with the tying goal. Callin put the puck on net, and Desbiens was there on the doorstep to knock in the rebound for the tying goal to send the game to OT.

Chances were sparse in the extra five minutes, but the Big Green had the best chance early on, when Pelino turned away a shot by Graber.

Pelino finished the night with 27 saves, while Clark stopped 22 shots.

Bentley is now finished with non-conference games. They will return to Atlantic Hockey action next weekend when they travel out to Pittsburgh to visit Robert Morris.